It’s the final day of the 12 days of Christmas – a great reminder that the Christmas message goes beyond that special and magical morning.
This traditional and popular song has many hidden meanings which
remind us of our faith and the many gifts God provides; love being the
ultimate gift for each and everyone of us. God is referred to as
‘My True Love’; and the ‘me’ – that’s for everyone!
– Partridge in a pear tree; Jesus who gave his life for us on the cross
– Turtle doves; peace / the two testaments, old & new
– French hens; faith, hope & love / Holy Trinity
– Calling birds; the four gospels spreading the word of God
– Golden rings; first five books of the bible
– Geese a laying; six days of creation
– Swans a swimming; seven gifts of the Holy Spirit
– Maids a milking; eight beatitudes
– Ladies dancing; nine fruits of the Holy Spirit
– Lords a leaping; the ten commandments
– Piper’s piping; eleven faithful disciples
– Drummers drumming; the twelve statements of the apostles creed*
As the warmth of the fire opens a fir cone, may God’s love open your heart this Christmas time and last the whole year through. May the glow lead and guide you when you lose your way to a place of safety and comfort.
Wishing you a happy and blessed new year.