June is the traditional month for Horton Heath to celebrate our Sunday School Anniversary. The Sunday School was founded in 1833 and started in the original Methodist Chapel in the village, which was a cob walled, thatch-roofed building on Chapel Farm. The Sunday School moved to the current Chapel on Clump Hill in 1877. We have records and recollections of early activities, typical of a country Sunday School including teas and picnics, presentations and prize-givings, and outings to the seaside, initially by horse and cart, then charabanc and latterly by coach.
The Sunday School banner is usually displayed over the front gate on Anniversary day, as shown in the photograph below dating from ca.1900. Due to its age and fragility, we tend keep the banner indoors if it is wet or windy outside, but the Sunday School is still active, still introducing children to Jesus and would welcome new members.